Monday, November 22, 2010

Joey Tipton




A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of having Joey Tipton visit one of my classes to speak about his work. I’ve heard Joey lecture before, so I wasn’t surprised at how interested my students became when they saw his work. Tipton’s photographs are a refreshing new look at contemporary landscape. His use of the camera shows a photographer struggling to construct his own unique visual language. Lucky for him and for us he’s able to do this in a highly intelligent and thought provoking way. His inexhaustible need to photograph, often verging on the side of insanity, comes through in the amount of film he shoots. Tipton’s photographs are usually heavily constructed without any remorse for doing so. As Tipton is often heard switching the two terms taking photographs and building photographs. He prides himself on his uncanny ability to do so.


You can see more of Joey Tipton's work at http://www.joeytipton.com